- Somehow the metal detector was deemed insufficient to reveal whatever secret terrorist devices I might be carrying down my loose pant legs, so the TSA agent felt compelled to feel me up. But wait, it gets better.
- JFK Airport is filthy. Dirty. Gross. The picture really doesn't capture the stains, trash, crumbs, and worse. In the entire five hours I was trapped here, I saw one person half-heartedly sweeping the larger pieces of trash. Ugh.
- The bathrooms were worse. Much, much worse.
- The view, or lack thereof.
- It was crazy loud, even for an airport: shouting gate agents and horrid muzak that were louder than my iPod. As if I needed any more reasons to avoid airplanes and airports like the scourge they are.

2 comments:
Our long drive to Colorado, which was grueling, wasn't as bad as this, I must say. And to think that you had to get up at an ungodly early hour for the privilege of experiencing JFK . . . .
Decompression from Gathering is important; the best thing we ever did was drive the Blue Ridge Parkway from Blacksburg to DC in 2005. It was just the thing.
Maybe Gerry & I'll take a mule train to California for the convention next January???
Hi Paul,
I did take perverse pleasure in snapping all my pictures in preparation for this rant. Since I get carsick, I was probably better off being where I was. Still, such an abrupt reintroduction to the rest of the world. I kept looking up at both airports, thinking I would find a familiar face and then being bummed out when of course, there wasn't anyone. I've heard the phrase "Quaker Brigadoon" to describe Gathering, and I think it is apt.
-Linda
Post a Comment