Thursday, March 20, 2008

Um, Remind Me Why I Didn't Get a Flu Shot

There are worse things in the world than the flu, I realize. But I am going to whine anyway. I'm glad I feel well enough to whine, actually. I barely got out of bed Sunday and Monday, except to run quick but necessary errands. I hope to remember for next time that it is much easier to pick out a cold/flu remedy when not actually suffering cold/flu symptoms. It is also easier to do four loads of laundry and several days worth of dishes when well. Finally, though I might have come down with the flu even if I had got the damn shot, at least I would be feeling righteously indignant instead of stupid. I hate feeling stupid.
 I had planned to go to back to work today, but I woke up with what may be pinkeye. After braving a humorless advice nurse and the surliest hospital volunteer you could ever hope to meet, I needed a lift. So I went on a mini-shopping spree, scoring pretty office supplies, shower sauna tablets, and books, magazines, and videos at the library. A nutritious lunch, a stop at the vet for pet meds (kinda weird how the cat needs medical attention pretty much at the same time I need medical attention), and a stop to drool over gorgeous yarn at Piedmont Yarn and Apparel rounded out the trip. As long as I don't mix up my eye drops with Zila's hairball treatment, we'll both be fine.

2 comments:

Inder-ific said...

Ugh! I had this same internal conversation a month or so ago when I got the flu. Steve was in Tahoe for the weekend, so I just laid in bed and shivered for two days while the dogs basically took over the house and destroyed half of the nice things I own. It was ugly. And, yes, "Why didn't I take that flu shot??" went through my head quite a few times.

But then I found out that the 2007-2008 flu shot wasn't that effective this year - they chose badly when it came to which vaccines to include in it. But it probably wouldn't have helped anyway. But yeah, I'd rather indignance any day over stupidity.

I'm glad you're feeling better! Hang in there!

Linda said...

Thanks, Inder. I had another setback on Friday that included pinkeye in the other eye AND ear infections. Awesome!