Saturday, March 22, 2008

Spring Break, Here at LAST

Despite the setback of pinkeye in the OTHER eye and ear infections in BOTH ears, I have now ascended into the land of moderately sick and well-medicated. I'm almost well enough to enjoy my 10 day weekend.
As always, I have completely unrealistic plans, which include:
  1. getting the Oakland Museum to send me a membership card with my actual name on it
  2. mopping the really scary kitchen floor
  3. cleaning out the equally scary microwave
  4. making Shaker lemon pie
  5. finishing my fingerless gloves, including weaving in the ends
  6. cleaning out all sorts of scary corners, but especially the office (this, alone, would be enough for one week)
  7. donating all the stuff found in those scary corners to the appropriate agencies
  8. getting the car serviced
  9. getting the car cleaned
  10. getting my atm cards wired to the correct accounts
  11. hosting my "unfinished business" party
  12. making summer travel plans
  13. reading at least some of the 35 books I have checked out from the library
  14. progressing on the endless blanket
  15. starting the scarf for CL
  16. labeling the stash of books for school so that I can lend them to teachers
  17. seeing a movie in a theater
  18. getting the computers and printers ready to donate/recycle
  19. taking several yoga classes to find out which one(s) could be added to my routine
  20. going birding
  21. mailing in the taxes
  22. sorting out the ten inch stack of paper that I keep avoiding
  23. re-establishing some financial order
  24. walking every day
  25. registering for Friends General Conference Gathering
  26. attending two committee meetings
  27. attending a wedding
  28. attending the community knit at Piedmont Yarn and Apparel
  29. attending the party for our newest member of meeting
  30. making snacks for singing (maybe the aforementioned shaker pie)
  31. having lunch out
  32. having a picnic
  33. blogging
  34. playing on Ravelry
  35. cooking: can I use up those fruits and veggies before they go bad?
  36. convince the library to actually send me the books I have on hold that the computer says are on the shelf
  37. visiting as many libraries and farmers markets as I can possibly squeeze into one week
  38. remembering to take all the various prescribed antibiotics
  39. remembering to dose the cat, too
There's more, but I'm tired already. I know I'm being goofy, but I really love the first day of a vacation. Time seems infinite! 

3 comments:

Will Fitzgerald said...

Where do you get Shaker lemons?

Linda said...

Um, in case you aren't just being funny, Shaker describes the recipe, not the lemons. The lemons I will be using are Meyer lemons from Inder's tree, the wonderfully sweet (for lemons) and thin skinned variety.
Recipe:
2 large lemons
2 c. sugar
pie crust dough for two crust pie
4 eggs, well beaten

slice lemons paper thin, toss with sugar, let stand for two hours.
prepare crust.
add eggs to lemon mixture and blend.
pour into crust, add top crust.
bake at 450 for 15 minutes. Then lower heat to 375 and bake 30-40 minutes, until set.

Inder-ific said...

I'm pleased to know my lemons are getting some good use.

My household (which was entirely spring-break-free) has ambitious plans about packing the last 100 or so lemons, which are starting to pass their peak and fall from the tree, in boxes, in sand, in the back shed, for use until the next harvest (in, I dunno, November?).

Rebecca has marmalade plans, too.