Saturday, April 01, 2006

Happiness Floats*

Friday was one of those perfect days, and not only because it was a holiday (Cesar Chavez's birthday).
First of all, I felt virtuous for sticking to my routine and going for a walk at 6:30 a.m. (That makes 42 out of the last 45 days!). I then met Will and his wife Bess and their daughter Jane for birding and brunch. We went to one of my favorite spots, Arrowhead Marsh. It was sunny and springlike, the rain clouds still only a billowy presence in the distance. There were snowy and great egrets in abundance, resplendent in their breeding plumage. Speaking of breeding plumage, it does renew my faith in the truth in advertising of bird names to finally see the birds when they actually are ruddy ducks (not the dull brown of winter) and blackbelllied (rather than whitebellied) plovers.
We set off for Mama's Royal Cafe, taking an unintentionally scenic route as I for the bizillionth time forgot which streets go through to Broadway and which streets make you reverse directions and drag you through Chinatown. Will and Bess said they were enjoying the sights, and I hope that wasn't just Midwest manners taking over. While I'm proud of Oakland's Chinatown and the colorful and historic downtown, it's a little harrowing trying to simultaneously avoid pedestrians, trucks, and erratic drivers while endeavoring not to lose your out of town guests in the maze.
Filled with a delicious breakfast and lovely conversation, I headed off for an adventure in the rain. I went to the ACCI seconds sale for a bit of a shopping spree. I stocked up on gifts as well as indulging my own desires for new earrings and a lovely vase. I love that the seconds sale makes art even more accessible than it already is here. Maybe it's the lingering effect of The Velveteen Rabbit, but I like to think that I'm rescuing some unloved bit of art, allowing it to fulfill its true destiny.
At brunch, Will and family indulged me in my favorite game: what is a favorite book? This inspired my next stop, the Berkeley Public Library. I am firmly convinced that heaven is a library that never closes. Well, it is also an unending shapenote singing convention, but that's a topic for another post. I applied for a library card and found many treasures. Among them: Mrs. Mike (Jane's favorite book); The Penland Book of Handmade Books, and several new magazines to try: Sculpture, Smithsonian, Birdwatcher's Digest, and Audubon.
Next stop, The Eastbay Depot for Creative Reuse. One never knows what wonders will appear here. On this trip I found: small bags of beads, tiny satin ribbons, Easter baskets, and purses for the two little girls I know; flags, patriotic bulletin board trim, and plastic dinosaur skeletons, which will make lovely Open Court Reading theme gifts for my teachers (a reading coach's work is never done); and ingredients for a surprise gift for a friend. I also found, coveted, but did not buy because I could not think of how I would use: platter-sized blue traffic light covers and huge flats of tiny glass bottles.
I rushed home to change clothes and wrap Elisa's present and then headed to her birthday party. Our friend Catherine was the host. We had an amazing dinner of cheese souffle, ratatouille, and salad (including miner's lettuce that grows wild in Catherine's yard). This was followed by ice cream sundaes and all was accompanied by more types of alcohol than I normally consume in a month. After much conversation and oohing and aahing over Elisa's gifts, I finally made my way home.

*From So Much Happiness by Naomi Shihab Nye
It is difficult to know what do do with so much
happiness

With sadness ther is something to rub against,
a wound to tend with lotion and cloth.
...
But happiness floats.

1 comment:

Deb said...

"Heaven is a library that never closes."

Love that!