Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Gospel Pool

I'm not always sure why a song takes hold of me. Sometimes the lyrics speak to my condition, sometimes the music speaks to my soul. Sometimes my rational mind can parse out the reason for the pull, and sometimes not. This is the song that has me this week:

Millbrook
How long, thou faithful God, shall I
Here in thy ways forgotten lie?
When shall the means of healing be
The channels of thy grace to me?

Sinners on every side step in,
And wash away their pain and sin;
But I, a helpless sinsick soul,
Still lie expiring at the pool.

Thou seest me lying at the pool
I would, thou know'st, I would be whole;
O let the troubled waters move,
And minister thy healing love.


Sometimes my heart just is frozen, and I am paralyzed with fear. I pray for an open heart at the same time that I am terrified that my prayer might be answered.
I was in a dither several times this week: I debated whether to organize a dinner for an singing friend from out of town, I debated and agonized over a letter to a Quaker friend, and everything has felt heavy. I want to be generous and loving and kind, and I also fear rejection. And did I mention I am an introvert? What introvert organizes a party, anyway?!*
Being a loner is something of a family tradition. I remember my Dad saying disdainfully once that we weren't "joiners," and my mother quoting her father as saying that you're lucky if you have two or three real friends in your life. For the majority of my life, I've shunned involvement in groups. Now I seem to be making up for lost time.
The gospel pool is for me the communities in which I've made my home: my Quaker meeting, my school, my shapenote singing group, my neighborhood, and all the friendships within those communities. It's through these connections that I find God's grace. Yet I'm often at the edge of that pool, unable to step in, feeling sharply that I am my mother's daughter. My mother died with a heart that would not melt. She died alone in the midst of friends and family who desperately wanted to ease her passage, but could not penetrate the walls she erected. When I can realize that I am once again at the edge of the pool, I look one way and see the path that would lead to a life and a death like hers. I look the other way, and it is unmapped, foreign territory. I have no pattern for living with an open heart, no internal compass to tell me the pitfalls and safe harbors of this terrain. Sometimes I just can't do it. I retreat. But often I tell the little worrying, nagging, sneering voices inside to hush, and I step into the pool.

*The party was lovely. I sent the letter. All is well.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can attest--the party really was lovely.

Natalia said...

I agree--very fun party.

I think I identify with your quandary, Linda... have you read The Portrait of a Lady, by any chance?

(Probably won't see you at singing tonight, by the way, sadly enough. Annoyingly, I am grading papers.)

Linda said...

Thanks for the kind words.
The joy of having two commenters is that the comment tally is now grammatically correct.

Natalia said...

Oh, you mean the joy doesn't lie in my very profound comments?

Heh heh.

Chris M. said...

Linda,

Wow. You have pierced my soul. I wrote the lyric to Millbrook in my paper journal. It speaks to my condition.

As do your words about being an introvert. What you wrote about your mother could almost have described my father.

Yet I keep forging into the uncharted territory, in faith, in love. It IS scary sometimes. And it is exciting and rewarding most of the time, too. Grace is in store for us there, yes, even such poor sinsick souls as we, expiring by the pool!

Thank you.

Chris M.
Tables, Chairs & Oaken Chests

Paul L said...

Milbrook is one of my favorites, too. I used to sing with a small group that occasionally performed, and we had this lovely, pure male tenor voice sing the first verse solo, adding the bass in verse two, and all four parts on verse three. It brought tears to my eyes each time.

It's not in the Sacred Harp, though, is it? I think it's in the Missouri Harmony. Where did you learn it?

Linda said...

Chris,
The words are even more beautiful sung. I'm glad they spoke to you.
Paul,
We have a few Ecclectic Harmonies that we pull out once in a while. Millbrook is in there. I confess I haven't gotten the hang of leading it yet. We lead it in three. Is that what you all do, too?

Anonymous said...

Millbrook, by Neely Bruce, is in Northern Harmony.