I hesitate to write a report of a singing. The experience seems so rich and individual at the time, and yet the reports have a remarkable sameness: we came, we sang, we ate, we sang. Writing about it is sort of like photographing my Christmas tree: each year's tree looks pretty much like the last. However, since I started this blog with the intention of trying to get into words the nature of my experience of Sacred Harp, I can't let yesterday's Golden Gate Regional Singing go by without comment.My favorite things about this year's singing:
- My friend Catherine came-and brought amazing fudge!
- I led The Christian Warfare-nothing like 60 or so people belting out your theme song for the year
- Betty's deadpan wit as she marshalled us through the day in her capacity as chairperson
- No one called 285t Arnold before I could use it for the memorial
- People wrote legibly on the memorial list, so I don't think I mangled any names when I read it
- Natalia's sweet potato creation, and someone's peanut curry (David, was that you?)
- The food that I made was edible, I didn't forget anything, and I didn't spill any of it or have any other culinary disasters*
- David's and Susan's lyrical prayers
- The moments in the day when I was surrounded by strong, loud male tenors
- I finally more or less know the words to Parting Hand so that I can actually sing while walking around to shake hands instead of having my nose in the book
- Anna's gracious hospitality for the social
Mostly though, I arrived weary from a stressful week (a teachers' strike was narrowly averted) and more than a bit nervous about leading the memorial lesson, and I left with a light heart.
*Sadly, Betty did not escape the culinary disaster karma, as the leftovers of her jello salad spilled all over everything. Amazing how warm jello just flows...

4 comments:
The curry was Jill's. Great job on the memorial lesson, Linda.
And... "The Christian Warfare" as theme song--heh heh. I like it.
This is a great singing report. I've been trying to do the same for the Midwest Convention in Chicago this past weekend with difficulty, for all the reasons you say.
It is indeed a good feeling to have had a theme song, one that's been getting yhou through the year, sung with power by a large group.
I must say your memorial lesson is the shortest I've ever witnessed. And among the most beautiful. Thanks for sharing it.
hi, linda and all. i was interested to read your account and some of your other posts. i was one of the tenors sitting next to you a good part of the day and it was a joy to sing with you and the other folks there. but what i wanted you to know is that in addition to singing eighty odd songs with you all, i added five life birds over the weekend. (i am an exceedingly amateur birder.) they were black skimmer, american avocet, acorn woodpecker, surf scoter, and white tailed kite. woohoo! also those parrots on telegraph hill. should you or anyone else wish to contact me my email is cackleys@ci.portland.or.us best wishes
Natalia, thanks for the kind words and culinary clarification. And doesn't everyone have a Sacred Harp theme song?
Paul, thanks, too, for the kind words. I intend to post David's memorial prayer soon.
Steve, it was GREAT sitting next to you, though I didn't learn your name until later. If only I'd known you were a birder, too!
Post a Comment