How long, dear Savior, O how long
Shall this bright hour delay?
Fly swift around, ye wheels of time,
And bring the promised day.
His own soft hand shall wipe the tears
From every weeping eye
And pains and groans and griefs and fears
And death itself shall die.poetry: Isaac Watts; music: Jeremiah Ingalls
I know I'm a couple days late. Hope it was a lovely day.

4 comments:
Well, thank you! What a nice surprise to read this.
The "own soft hands" verse is in Northfield (155) in the Cooper book, but apparently not in the 1971 Denson revision as I had thought. It is in the Denson book in Promised Day (409).
Gerry & I did have a lovely day in Wisconsin -- more Quaker singers came this year than ever before, including some from the workshop this summer which was very satisfying.
I led Morning Sun (436), a good reminder on a birthday, I think. (This used to be Collette Miller's song, but now she usually calls Fleeting Days (348b).)
Thanks again!
Glad you found this post, Paul. Oh, a fun note that I forgot to include: one of your birthday singers was Will Fitzgerald, in town for his monthly work week in California.
Dorthy Horn, author of the excellent _Sing to Me of Heaven_ wrote that
Jeremiah Ingalls wrote that tune while in a tavern, waiting for his order, eventually toying with some Watts poetry and a bouncy tune.
Gives more credence to the Berkeley group's final verse:
How long, dear Savior, Oh how long
Shall this dinner delay?
Fly swift around, ye idle men,
And bring the promised cup of tea.
Cute, Mark.
Post a Comment