In 1983, the first FGC Gathering I attended, there was an afternoon FGC Choir that I sang in. We learned a half dozen or so songs, some Shaker tunes, another one or two that I think may have been in the Sacred Harp, but the only one I remember for sure is this tune, Prospect, though with words that I like a lot better:
A lone wild bird in lofty flight, Is still with thee nor leaves thy sight. But I am thine, I rest in thee, Great Spirit come and rest in me.
The ends of Earth are in thy hands, The sea's dark deep and no man's land. But I am thine, I rest in thee, Great Spirit come and rest in me.
Those are lovely words, Paul. My favorite of the verses in the Sacred Harp is: O if my Lord would come and meet, My soul would stretch her wings in haste, Fly fearless through death's iron gate, Nor feel the terrors as she passed.
A Friend gave ministry once about the old meaning of "meet" which had the sense of prepared. Thus our meetings are where our spirits are prepared. Now I always think of that message when I sing this song.
2 comments:
I love this tune.
In 1983, the first FGC Gathering I attended, there was an afternoon FGC Choir that I sang in. We learned a half dozen or so songs, some Shaker tunes, another one or two that I think may have been in the Sacred Harp, but the only one I remember for sure is this tune, Prospect, though with words that I like a lot better:
A lone wild bird in lofty flight,
Is still with thee nor leaves thy sight.
But I am thine, I rest in thee,
Great Spirit come and rest in me.
The ends of Earth are in thy hands,
The sea's dark deep and no man's land.
But I am thine, I rest in thee,
Great Spirit come and rest in me.
Thanks for posting this.
Those are lovely words, Paul. My favorite of the verses in the Sacred Harp is:
O if my Lord would come and meet,
My soul would stretch her wings in haste,
Fly fearless through death's iron gate,
Nor feel the terrors as she passed.
A Friend gave ministry once about the old meaning of "meet" which had the sense of prepared. Thus our meetings are where our spirits are prepared. Now I always think of that message when I sing this song.
Post a Comment