I can't believe we're actually in Portland! I have been after Terry for over a year to drive together to a singing. She finally said yes! So Terry, Natalia, and I all piled into my Prius and off we went.
Driving brought its own adventures: it is a LONG way to Portland. But Terry, bless her, drove through the worst of the rain, and even Natalia drove for an hour or so (we picked out a nice calm stretch with not too many cars or too many curves). I passed the time as a passenger knitting a new scarf with ribbon yarn, and eating. Natalia and I brought enough food for an army, the best of which was the homemade bread and flourless chocolate cake that Natalia brought.
Despite the rain, the drive was really pretty once we got North of Sacramento. Even the rest stops were pretty. At one such stop, Natalia pointed out the universe of moss and lichen on the tree trunks. Sadly, I didn't think to dig out my camera...
It was about 9 when we finally rolled into Portland. We made it to the social in time to sing for 30 minutes or so. What a delight to walk into a room filled with the sound of a favorite song, and just join right in.
Saturday, October 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Aren't road trips fun? Gerry and I are going on one tomorrow to the Wisconsin all-day singing on Saturday. I wonder how long that scarf got before you arrived?
I'm glad you got to go to Portland; it's on my list, too. I will never forget Jessica Beer from there who was one of the Fierce Altos I heard at the Missouri convention in 2005 and would love to sing with her again. Also because, when I took my hitchiing trip around the west in 1975, Portland was the only city i visited other than Minneapolis that I wanted to live in. In those days at least, the two were a lot alike.
Hi Paul,
Oh, I hope you'll post about Wisconsin. Did you get to see Carol and Jim?
The funny thing is, I really don't like road trips. I get a little car sick, my back hurts, I get tired... But I really wanted to go to this singing, and I didn't feel right about flying. And I adore the two folks I went with.
It was a good convention, no surprise. And speaking of Jessica, one of my favorite moments of this convention was when she led holding our friend Jill's one-year-old son, Oliver.
Post a Comment