I’m home now from the third annual Golden Gate Singing, tired but in a good way. It was my first time being secretary, meaning I kept a list of all the songs and leaders. It’s not that hard and I did like doing it, but it meant constant responsibility. It helped when I finally figured out that, as I was not sitting on the front bench, I did not need to sing the shapes for every song or beat time through each song. And the man next to me kindly shared his book so I didn’t have to juggle my own book, the registration cards, and my clipboard back and forth. It occurs to me that in order to completely relax and enjoy a singing, I’m going to have to travel.
My heart is full of the small sweet details that make each singing just a bit different than the others:
- this cake (Okay, Natalia, I concede that the cake pictured above may be Sacred Harp dorkiness, but it is aesthetically pleasing sacred harp dorkiness.)
- meeting the lovely woman from Eugene who was knitting a Fair Isle sweater from wool she had dyed and spun herself
- listening to Greg and friends playing and singing folk songs between the singing and the social
- getting to spend time with my friend Catherine L., who brought her delicious fudge for the potluck
- Susan’s ingenious “food tags”: as food maven, she had us fill out little forms to tape to our dishes with our names and if it was vegan, vegetarian, or “flexitarian”
- Carolyn’s red velvet cake and Natalia’s corn pudding
- seeing everyone in their Sunday best
- baby Oliver
- not spilling anything on my white shirt
- conversations in the car with Will and Inder, as well as having their navigational assistance
- knowing enough songs that my nose wasn’t buried in the book
- getting to sit next to Betty for the first time in a while, as she rarely sings tenor these days
Over lunch, someone asked me what I thought the draw was to Sacred Harp singing, and I punted the answer, saying something inane about how I loved the sound. A truer answer would have been, “it’s one place I hear God.” It’s an interesting parallel to Quaker meeting, where we gather in silence in expectant waiting for God to be present with us and to speak through us. In a singing, we gather to produce a virtual wall of sound, and eventually, our tongues break out in unknown strains and sing surprising grace.

3 comments:
"A truer answer would have been, 'it’s one place I hear God.'"
Yes indeed. But it's also a place where I can praise God
Thanks for a beautiful report.
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your comment. Yes, it is a place to praise God, to honor our dead, to rejoice in our blessings... So much more than just beautiful music.
Looking forward to seeing you at FGC Gathering.
Linda,
I've been learning recently about sacred harp and would love to participate. Where do I start? I live across the bay in San Francisco. Sorry to use your blog to ask the question, but I figure it's better than not trying. Thanks in advance,
Todd
bkyu36@mac.com
Post a Comment