Sunday, April 29, 2007

Carriers of Hope

A message moved me last week in meeting. A Friend spoke of how important it was to her to have people in her life that could carry hope for her when she herself could not. I've been musing off and on all week about those who carry hope for me.

A few years ago, a Friend addressed the Plenary session at Pacific Yearly Meeting. She spoke of how we cared for one another in a monthly meeting, that we "carried water for each other." Sometimes this water carrying is practical: we make food for the sick and bereaved, take a friend to a doctor's appointment, help someone move. But sometimes, the water carried is less tangible in nature, but no less real. At our best, we carry love, compassion, faithfulness and hope for those of us who can't, until we can again.

I don't think this is limited to a Quaker meeting. I find my "sure support against despair" among friends and colleagues, in nature, in the many communities I am fortunate to belong to. May I also carry hope for those around me when they struggle to find the Light.

1 comment:

Natalia said...

Lara does this for me all the freakin' time.

**Sample dialogue!**

Lara: [Makes statement evincing hope for humanity or some such]

Me: You are completely insane for believing that, but I'm glad you do.