...and so is my Meeting.I posted a few weeks ago about the Out of Darkness Walk that my friend Denise is doing this very evening in order to raise money for depression awareness and suicide prevention. She has since raised 557% (not a typo) of her original goal, much of it from our Meeting. Many of the donors comment on how grateful they are to Denise for doing this, how happy they are to be asked for their support.
I've been thinking about spiritual hospitality in our Meeting, which has me focusing on the ways we often don't get it right. It's nice to be reminded that often we do get it right, that our Meeting is largely comprised of folks looking for opportunities to show our loving concern for one another.
This tender care was available to me when my dad died, and to others in the Meeting during times of sickness and injury. It is absolutely true, as one Friend said, that "this is the best Meeting in the world!" At least it's true for those of us who find our way into the life of the Meeting. It is also absolutely true that our Meeting can feel indifferent to those who haven't found the "secret entrance." What I would hope for us is that we provide a few more signposts to the way in.

2 comments:
Um, Linda, maybe you could have a word with some people at my parish... I couldn't tell you who, though, because... I don't know their names.
Hmm.. I don't know if I should be glad, or sad, at the thought that this is not a uniquely Quaker problem...
Post a Comment