Saturday, February 18, 2006

My Life List is Now 220 (But Who's Counting?)

Well, actually, it's more than that, because that total doesn't include the Ireland trip and East Coast birds. In any case, I've been making it a point to get out on Golden Gate Audubon trips, and finally have time to catch up on my listing. The volunteer guides for GGA are encyclopedic in their knowledge. Thanks to them, I can now tell greater and lesser scaup apart, and the sharp-shinned hawk I saw at the Rose Garden was a snap to distinguish from the Cooper's (sharpies are jay-sized). I also got clarity on which golden-eye is which: comMON have the MOON-shaped patch on their faces; BARROW's has a wheelBARROW-shaped patch. Life birds are indicated with an asterisk. The Eastshore Park trip netted the most new species. We spent a lot of time on gulls and peeps, so those things I've seen forever sorted themselves out a bit. Not that I expect to replicate this expertise on my own, but at least I could see for myself the key features the guide pointed out. So I felt legitimate in counting them. It's especially sweet to get new birds at Lake Merritt, since I'm there several times a week. I also saw several things that I had not seen there before, even if they are not life birds: hermit thrush, belted kingfisher, and peregrine falcon.

Lake Merritt, solo 6:30 a.m.- 8:00 a.m., 22 species
2/19/06

  1. eared grebe (beginning to show breeding plumage)
  2. pied-billed grebe
  3. double crested cormorant
  4. ross's goose*
  5. canvasback
  6. greater scaup
  7. lesser scaup
  8. common goldeneye
  9. bufflehead
  10. red-breasted merganser
  11. American coot
  12. white pelican
  13. western gull
  14. glaucous-winged gull
  15. ring-billed gull
  16. snowy egret
  17. great egret
  18. black-crowned night heron
  19. rock pigeon
  20. anna's hummingbird
  21. white-crowned sparrow
  22. house sparrow



Eastshore State Park (Berkeley Marina and meadow), 8:00-11:45 a.m., Audubon trip led by Dave Quady, 48 species
2/18/06

  1. common loon (beginning to show breeding plumage)
  2. horned grebe
  3. eared grebe
  4. western grebe
  5. double-crested cormorant
  6. canada goose
  7. mallard
  8. american wigeon
  9. green-winged teal
  10. surf scoter
  11. canvasback
  12. greater scaup
  13. common goldeneye
  14. bufflehead
  15. ruddy duck (starting to show breeding plumage)
  16. western gull
  17. mew gull*
  18. california gull*
  19. ring-billed gull
  20. glaucous-winged gull
  21. great blue heron
  22. great egret
  23. snowy egret
  24. American avocet
  25. marbled godwit
  26. willet
  27. spotted sandpiper*
  28. sanderling*
  29. dunlin*
  30. least sandpiper* (reported on Arrowhead marsh, but I'm really sure of this sighting!)
  31. northern harrier
  32. red-tailed hawk
  33. turkey vulture
  34. American kestrel
  35. mourning dove
  36. anna's hummingbird (on nest)
  37. northern flicker
  38. black phoebe
  39. american crow
  40. chestnut-backed chickadee
  41. ruby-crowned kinglet
  42. american robin
  43. red-winged blackbird
  44. white-crowned sparrow
  45. fox sparrow
  46. song sparrow
  47. house finch
  48. lesser goldfinch


Oakland Rose Garden, solo, 11:00 a.m., 10 species 2/17/06

  1. sharp-shinned hawk
  2. downy woodpecker
  3. steller's jay
  4. chestnut-backed chickadee
  5. bushtit
  6. red-breasted nuthatch
  7. cedar waxwing (on the way)
  8. white-crowned sparrow
  9. California towhee
  10. house finch (on the way)


Lake Merritt, Audubon trip led by Travis Hails, 8:00-12:00, 36 species
1/28/06

  1. eared grebe
  2. double crested cormorant
  3. canada goose
  4. gadwall
  5. mallard
  6. canvasback
  7. greater scaup
  8. lesser scaup
  9. common goldeneye
  10. bufflehead
  11. ruddy duck
  12. red-breasted merganser*
  13. American coot
  14. western gull
  15. glaucous-winged gull
  16. ring-billed gull
  17. great blue heron
  18. snowy egret
  19. great egret
  20. black-crowned night heron
  21. peregrine falcon
  22. cooper's hawk
  23. belted kingfisher
  24. rock pigeon
  25. anna's hummingbird
  26. American crow
  27. western scrub jay
  28. chestnut-backed chickadee
  29. oak titmouse
  30. bushtit
  31. brown creeper
  32. American robin
  33. hermit thrush
  34. white-crowned sparrow
  35. golden-crowned sparrow
  36. California towhee


No comments: