Saturday, February 11, 2006

A Blessing of Birds



I went Arrowhead Marsh today, one of my favorite birding spots, and a place that makes me proud of Oakland. Arrowhead is part of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Regional Shoreline Park. It was overcast, making it easy to see without squinting. Tide was high, so I got to see a lot of the little birds near the pier: marsh wrens, white-crowned sparrows, and, my favorite for the day, male and female common yellow throats. I take umbrage with the "common" in their name: they are rare enough to me, and far too beautiful to be considered "common." Ducks were abundant, too: northern pintails, green-winged teals, cinnamon teals, mallards, American wigeons, greater scaups, surf scoters, common goldeneyes, and buffleheads. The mallards were doing their mating displays, something I hadn't seen before. I spent an embarrassingly long time scrutinizing some rather faded looking canvasbacks. They turned out to be DECOYS. Although why there are decoys in a protected marsh is a bit mysterious, and rather unfair, I thought. Salvaging what remained of my dignity, I continued on in my perusal of nature's bounty. Highlights include the glaucous-winged gull and the great egret that joined me on the pier, and the plethora of American avocets. The avocets were great: some were still in their grey winter plumage (I think of it as Quaker grey), some were in breeding plumage, and some were in between.

Complete sightings (40 species):
  1. horned grebe
  2. double breasted cormorant
  3. Canada goose
  4. mallard
  5. northern pintail
  6. American wigeon
  7. northern shoveler
  8. green-winged teal
  9. cinnamon teal
  10. surf scoter
  11. greater scaup
  12. common goldeneye
  13. bufflehead
  14. ruddy duck
  15. American coot
  16. glaucous-winged gull
  17. western gull
  18. ring-billed gull
  19. great blue heron
  20. great egret
  21. snowy egret
  22. clapper rail
  23. black-necked stilt
  24. American avocet
  25. killdeer
  26. lesser yellowlegs
  27. willet
  28. least sandpiper
  29. northern harrier
  30. red-tailed hawk
  31. turkey vulture
  32. anna's hummingbird
  33. black phoebe
  34. marsh wren
  35. northern mockingbird
  36. yellow-rumped warbler
  37. common yellowthroat
  38. white-crowned sparrow
  39. song sparrow
  40. savannah sparrow

No comments: