Friday, June 20, 2008
In Praise of Facebook
I originally signed up on Facebook because that was the only way to see pictures from a certain Sacred Harp singer. I pretty much ignored the thing until my artist friend, Biliana, sent a friend request earlier this week. As this request coincided with the beginning of summer vacation, I was tempted to muck around a bit. Okay, a lot. But Facebook is not (only) an enormous time-suck, really! It's also how I ended up at the Freight and Salvage last night, listening to sometimes-Sacred Harper Marsha Genensky and mandolin player Paul Kotapish and guitar player Scott Nygaard. See, Facebook is how Lisa found me (through mutual Facebook Quaker friends), and thought since I was a Sacred Harp singer, I might be into other things folk. So we had a lovely conversation waiting for the show to start, heard a great concert, plus I proved that I can stay out past ten on a weeknight without the Prius turning into a pumpkin. Sweet!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I originally signed up for Facebook because a Friend had posted something to advertise an event we were working on. I've since come to enjoy it - especially the little updates on friends far and near. But this week, I'm taking a complete break. I'll accept your friend request next time I log in.
Hi Robin,
Thanks for stopping by. At first I didn't really understand Facebook at all. And there are still things on it that mystify me. But like you, I also enjoy the updates on friends. See you in Johnstown!
Post a Comment