Sunday, January 27, 2008

Unexpected Blessing from Freecycle

I had a lovely email in my box this week which I almost overlooked in the great sea of messages. A few weeks ago, I replied to request on freecycle* for a portable CD player. The requester's friend was in a coma, and her doctor had recommended playing her favorite music. This weekend's email was to tell me that the friend was now awake after three weeks in a coma, and had been enjoying the CD player. I had forgotten all about this soon after the player was picked up, so I was both surprised and touched that this young woman's friend would bother to give me an update. It was a nice lesson, too, on letting go of hoarded possessions- that player was doing no one good shoved in a drawer. Less clutter and a little kindness in the world-- what could be better?
*Note: Freecycle is an awesome site that coordinates people who have stuff to give away with people who want that stuff. Only 4 types of messages are allowed: offered, wanted, taken, and received. You join the group(s) that are close to your home or workplace. You can choose to receive individual emails (which I think is overwhelming) or to get the daily digest.

No comments: