Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Let Us Sing

It was a beautiful singing on Monday night, if bittersweet. Several long-lost friends returned: David and Susan, Lara, Elizabeth (for the second week in a row), Jeremy (who brought yummy cookies). Sadly for us, it was the last singing for a while for Will, who is moving back home. And we saw Christmas for the last time, as Jan will be getting a new service dog.
I discovered when I got home that evening that a dear man and fellow Sacred Harp singer, Hibbard Thatcher, died recently. I only met him once, at FGC gathering last year. I was hoping to get to sing with him again this year, and was sad to hear that he was ill. He was a gentle and welcoming presence, and I am thankful for getting to know him the little that I did.

Shall we ever meet again
at the house, at the house
Then to make the chorus ring
at the house of God

Here are some wonderful Sacred Harp photos from the Chattahoochee Convention.* They really capture the feeling of a singing.

*The link should work now, thanks to Will.

3 comments:

Paul L said...

Thank you for acknowledging Hibbard's death.

He participated in the Sacred Harp workshops we led in 1998 and in 2002, as well as almost all of the afternoon singings at other Gatherings, and was a magnificent participant each time -- enthusiastic, patient, knowledgable. I missed him this year and am sorry that he won't be there with us in the future, at least in the same way.

He was also a great contra dancer and caller.

Hibbard will be remembered in many memorial lessons over the next year or more, however, and will be forever be in that great harmonious choir.

Anonymous said...

It's certainly been a joy to sing with the Berkeley group, and with you in particular, on a nearly weekly basis for the past four months or so. I've grown in my confidence and ability as a singer with your encouragement. I will miss the easy opportunities to get together for lunch, attend meeting, vent about our days, etc.

But, of course, I still plan to sing once a month with you all!

"I have my bitter and my sweet
While through this world I travel."

Natalia said...

In The World Republic of Letters, Pascale Casanova argues that Paris is the center of culture in the world.

But... there's no Sacred Harp here! How could she overlook something so obvious? Sheesh.