A poem for Father's Day:
This poem moves me, although I do not recognize my father, or the fathers I know, in this seemingly cold and angry man. I was fortunate enough to always know that my father loved me. And the fathers that I know do not chop wood for their families, or think that being a man means to be a stoic. But this poem makes me think of them anyway, for all their acts of devotion that their children do not yet fully appreciate. This week's This American Life included a beautiful illustration of this fatherly devotion. A little boy loses his teddy bear on vacation to Disneyland, and the dad flies back to Anaheim to try and find it. The father makes a rather heroic effort to recover the bear, and the son, while not ungrateful, takes it all rather for granted. Even in what seems to be a happy and open relationship, that kid will have no idea until he grows up what it meant for his dad to go to such lengths. And for the children of parents who were too broken to be gentle, to speak kindly, it can be some comfort to examine our experiences with fresh eyes, and find the love that was no less real for having not been spoken.Those Winter Sundays
Sundays too my father got up early
and put his clothes on in the blueblack cold
then with cracked hands that ached
from labor in the weekday weather made
banked fires blaze. No one ever thanked him.
I'd wake and hear the cold splintering, breaking.
When the rooms were warm, he'd call,
and slowly I would rise and dress,
fearing the chronic angers of that house,
Speaking indifferently to him,
who had driven out the cold
and polished my good shoes as well.
What did I know, what did I know
of love's austere and lonely offices?
--Robert Hayden
collected in Good Poems by Garrison Keillor

1 comment:
Yes, I heard the Ira Glass show, too, and was in tears listening to the father digging through the heaps of garbage looking for his son's beat -- his son who almost died -- and finding it only after he said -- prayed, really -- to the bear saying, "If you want me to find you, you're going to have to do something to help," and the next minute having the bear in his hand.
And then the "of course" response from his son. How familiar and how beautiful.
Post a Comment