Thursday, November 05, 2009

small things

My school is participating in the Mindful Schools program, which means that we get a guest teacher twice a week for fifteen sessions. They teach the kids mindful listening, breathing, seeing, moving, eating, and so on. They also teach "heartfulness": kind thoughts and actions. Today's lesson focused on gratitude. I was absolutely touched that two kids said they were thankful for their little brothers. Now that I think about it, I'm really impressed that material things weren't really mentioned. Someone was glad for their home, many for their families, and many for their pets. The homework for the day was to think of small things to notice that made us feel grateful.

Here are mine for the day:
  • Hearing D. read with expression for the first time ever
  •  leaving work before it was totally dark
  • sweet flock of bushtits in the tree outside my window
  • getting a head start on those pesky weekly reports
  • candycane Joe's are back!
  • arugula, avocado, and tomato salad
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful program for your students. Being mindful of life's gifts is something I try to practice every single day. It's amazing the difference it can make in your outlook toward life.

Linda said...

Hey, LJ! Nice to see you here. It is a really wonderful program for the kids (and their teacher!).

Anonymous said...

I check in periodically to see whether you've updated your blog.