A few weeks ago, I saw Eric Bibb at the Freight, and I can't stop thinking about the charming and funny story he told about his song, Diamond Days. He wrote the song while stranded somewhere on a holiday where everything was closed. He had a crummy meal, and then ended up tinking around with his guitar in his crummy hotel room. His mood lifted a little as the lines came to him:
On a Wednesday, I was playin' in a biker barOutside TopekaOn that Friday I was playin' on a blues cruiseGoin' to Dominica
A few months later, he was talking over his tour schedule with his agent and asked where he was going to be playing next. His agent replied, "You're not going to believe this, but you're playing in biker bar, and it's, well, it's outside Topeka." A few months later, he was in fact on a cruise to Dominica. He concluded his story with this thought:
"Whatever you repeat, through song or in prayer, has a way of manifesting itself."
A few songs later, he played an instrumental and then segued into Needed Time. The audience spontaneously joined in, making it a moment of gentle transcendence. I've been singing this song ever since.
Now is the needed timeright now is the needed timeright now is the needed timeI'm praying, won't you come by hereEven if you don't stay long,Even if you don't stay long,Jesus, won't you come by hereI'm down on my bended kneesDown on my bended kneesPraying, won't you come by here.
We had horrible, horrible news at school last Tuesday. A boy who had been our student and had just moved on to middle school this year was shot and killed by another 13 year old. Some of the news coverage has been sensitive, but a lot has been inane or even callous. The comments to the web articles are especially horrid. Lots of blame being thrown around, lots of racism, few voices of compassion and reason. Many, many comments like this:
Good riddance, suspect or victim, gangsters all the same.
The worst part is, there are comments posted by Josue's classmates that indicate that they've read this filth about their families, their neighborhood, themselves. Even before they read these comments, they knew what the world thinks about them, and they manifest it.
The first thing I did when I got home was call my aunt and ask her to pray for all of us: the children involved, their families, our principal, and the teachers. I'm still trying to sort out how and what to pray, so I'll borrow my aunt's faith for the moment. She can just get busy praying while I sort out my doubts and my demons.
I've been struggling because I'm so angry and so sad. I feel like I'm trying to bail the ocean with a teaspoon, and now it's started raining. I'm sick of the folks who want to sit back and judge and place blame. I'm also struggling because words, no matter how sincerely meant, are not enough. We need prayers of action.
Yet action without discernment is merely reaction, and can cause more harm than good. And I think Bibb is right- what you repeat, in song or in prayer, has a way of manifesting itself. So I pray that each day I water the seeds of kindness, compassion, and brilliance in every child I encounter, especially those who are the most difficult. I pray that we make our school an oasis of safety and care for our students, and that any troubled child knows that they are seen and loved by every adult at the school. I pray for all the teachers, staff, administrators, parents, and children whose hearts broke over this, who still wrestle with despair. I pray that this tragedy ends here, and no more violence erupts from it. I pray that hearts are softened, that lessons are learned but blame is extinguished. I pray for the families involved, that they know they are not alone. I pray that we get better at teaching kids the skills they need to keep themselves safe and strong. I pray for the strength and humility to do the good that is in front of me to do, and to let go of the outcome. I pray that I am not alone in praying all this, and not alone in working for this.
Now is the needed timeright now is the needed timeright now is the needed time

3 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear this, Linda.
Linda -- I'm sorry I hadn't read this before the Gathering. I wasn't aware of how this was weighing on you.
I especially was struck by your observation that "action without discernment is merely reaction, and can cause more harm than good" This is exactly right. You're pointing out the difference between "reaction" and "response" which are not synonymous, no matter how many times the TV and radio reporters mix them up.
I hope you write more soon.
Thanks, friends.
Paul, I was carrying this with me, but much had transpired between when I wrote the post and arriving at Gathering to lighten it somewhat.
Post a Comment