Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Proud to be an American

I should be getting ready for work. Really, really don't have time for this. But I am in such a state about this election.
I don't often say things like, "I'm proud to be an American." Partly those words have been co-opted by the Right to an extent that they don't feel like mine. Partly, too, because there seems to be a fine line between patriotism and jingoism. I love my country, I have always loved my country, but I'm often heartbroken by how far our behavior is from our ideals. 
But last night, watching the returns come in, and watching the reactions of other Americans, the only word for what I'm feeling is proud. 
I am proud that we've elected the first Black president. I am proud that racism did not hold sway. It was there, of course, but the point is that people of all races, ages, and economic strata came together to work their butts off to get Obama elected. 
I am proud that young people turned out in droves to work for the campaign and to rejoice exuberantly in the streets when he won. I think the honking and hollering finally stopped around midnight or so in my neighborhood.
I am proud that the turnout hit record highs, though it should be higher.
As a country, we send all kinds of messages to African Americans and other people of color every day that they aren't really Americans, that this country is not really for them. I was so moved by the interviews with African-Americans as the results came in, and hear person after person talk about what a great day for America it was.

2 comments:

Shanta Hayes said...

Hey Linda,
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I have really enjoyed reading about your life and your Friends. I am very interested to learn more about you. And I totally agree with your sentiments of being proud to be an American.

Linda said...

Welcome! Thanks for stopping by.