"When through the deep waters I call thee to go
The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.”
From Bellevue (72b)
There’s a lot going on right now for many folks I hold dear. Several friends have lost close family members, are grieving the losses of relationships, experiencing illness themselves or that of those they love. There is much to hold in the Light. I find this verse so comforting, the idea that though there are rivers of sorrow, they will not overflow and be too much to bear. May we all feel our distress sanctified and feel the presence of God in our time of need. May we be the hands and ears of God for those among us who are suffering.

3 comments:
Yes! I too have been focusing on a few Sacred Harp words to get me through the day. As you know, "Eternal Day" is one of my favorites:
"Give joy or grief, give ease or pain,
Take life or friends away,
But let me find them all again
In that eternal day."
Sacred Harp can be a form of prayer, and I find myself repeating the lyrics over and over, as though I were reciting some kind of mantra. It doesn't give me control over things I can't control, but is comforting and soothing nonetheless.
Sacred Harp has been such a blessing for me, and I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed getting to know you and all of the other singers!
Yes, Sacred Harp as a form of prayer, that's it. It doesn't change your circumstances, but it can change your heart.
I really like that verse too.
Of course, even when Sacred Harp lyrics are total nonsense, they still have the advantage of being belted out really, really loudly.
Post a Comment