I've resolved to take the train when traveling instead of flying, especially when I'm traveling on winter or summer break. Here's why it's no sacrifice:
- No one pats you down, paws through your belongings, or makes you take off your shoes when you get off the train.
- I can take my knitting needles and scissors and no one cares.
- I sleep well on a train (at least in a sleeper). I don't even sleep well at home, so this is a big deal.
- I can see where I am. Often the scenery is beautiful, and even when it's not, it's usually at least interesting.
- No middle seats. I can knit without continuously bumping the person next to me.
- Good food in the dining car and/or less strict baggage limits mean you can take a cooler with your favorite food.
- You meet interesting people in the observation car and over meals, but you aren't trapped next to them for hours on end like on a plane.
- Wine and cheese tasting for sleeper car passengers-- and no one has to be the designated driver!
- You can walk around.
- It's less noisy than planes or buses, and less motion-sickness inducing.
- Train stations are generally less chaotic than airports.
- Enforced relaxation: no chores, no work, nothing to do but read, visit, eat, sleep, listen to music, and watch the world go by.

2 comments:
Some other reasons:
• Most people on the train seem really happy to be there.
• It's a good amount of time to relax between things -- before, I would fly from home, where I was busy, to vacation, where I was busy, to home, where I was busy.
Yes, I agree with your additional reasons, especially the happy people (and children! much less screaming!). Lots of conversations center on, "gee, this is so much more fun than a plane!" Even when there are delays and other annoyances, people will often point out how it compares favorably to being on a plane or in an airport.
Post a Comment