Mark, Carolyn and I joined Will and Katie at Church of the Sojourners (a Christian community) for their Sunday worship service. Will gave the sermon, and had us sing Child of Grace as part of it. It was a lovely sermon in the midst of a lovely service, and I hope he'll post the text, or at least excerpts. Katie was an exceptionally gracious host and clued us in on the proceedings.
I was touched by how warmly we were welcomed as visitors, but I was even more moved by how lovingly the members treated each other, particularly the children. The children were present for a few songs, communion bread, dinner and scripture reading. Then there was a time for them to tell an adult about something good that showed that God was working in their lives, and the adult shared it with the group. Then the adults were asked to give affirmations to the kids. How great for children to have that many adults looking for what they're doing right! The kids went off for their own activities while we continued with more scripture, Will's sermon, singing, prayers and affirmations for the adults, and communion wine.
There is an old Quaker query that meetings use to examine the state of their community: How have love and unity fared among you? At the Church of the Sojourner, love and unity are faithfully tended.
Tuesday, October 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment